One vision, one team, countless possibilities
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults and families.
Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
- Be part of a growing organization that has been a top employer for 11 consecutive years (learn more about our Employer Awards)
- A diverse and socially inclusive environment where you can experience positive work relations and be yourself
- Meaningful opportunities for to impact that lives of individuals and help increase the health of our communities
- An appreciation of you as an individual and your desire to make a meaningful contribution
- Lifelong learning including training and leadership opportunities to support your growth
- Work-life balance and a family-friendly environment to help you balance your personal and work commitments
- Comprehensive benefits to support your overall health
The YMCA values it’s history of partnering with volunteers. There are many benefits of volunteering including learning new skills, sharing your knowledge and expertise, meeting new people, finding a place to belong and making new friends all while helping your community improve it’s overall health. All volunteers receive training to ensure the safe and efficient operations in our child care, employment, camp, youth and health and fitness programs across the GTA. Volunteering is a great way to obtain your Ontario high-school credit hours, complete a student placement, try something new, make new friends or transition to a new life-stage. The YMCA has a variety of rewarding volunteer opportunities available.
There are a number of steps we take before extending a job offer. We are diligent about hiring people who are qualified for our jobs and considered suitable to work with children or vulnerable people in our communities.
We are committed to providing socially inclusive and barrier-free experience in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Here are some ways we will evaluate your job application:
- Performing an objective assessment of your skills, qualifications and experience against the job
- Conducting formal interviews and including questions designed to determine suitability for working with children or vulnerable people (in positions of trust)
- Conducting thorough reference checks and carefully checking credentials
- Asking you to submit a police records check as a condition of your employment
- Using job-relevant assessments for specific positions and using a range of screening methods
Be part of an organization that has been recognized as a top employer for 11 consecutive years.
We are committed to be a great workplace and provide an environment where people enjoy their work and grow in the process. Participating in Top Employer programs allows us to continually strive towards higher standards to offer our people the best possible working experience.
On December 6, 2019, the YMCA of Greater Toronto was named as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2020 for the twelfth year! We were recognized across the following areas:
- physical workplace
- work atmosphere and social
- health, financial, and family benefits
- vacation and time off
- employee communications
- performance management
- training and skills development
- community involvement.
On March 6, 2020, the YMCA of Greater Toronto was named as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for 2020 for the ninth year! We were recognized as having exceptional workplace diversity and inclusiveness programs.
On January 17, 2020, the YMCA of Greater Toronto was named as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People for 2020 for the tenth year! We were recognized as having the nation’s best workplaces and programs for young people just starting their careers.
Did you know...?
- 40% of our employees are under the age of 30, and 36 is the average age of all our employees
- We have a Youth Advisory Council (YAC) made up of young people between the ages of 19 to 29. Together with the Board of Directors, they provide governance for the YMCA.
On April 15, 2019, the YMCA of Greater Toronto was named as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2019 for the ninth year! We were recognized as leading the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness, developing exceptional earth-friendly initiatives and attracting people for our environmental leadership.
Did you know...?
- Our Cooper Koo Family Cherry St. YMCA is certified as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold
- Our Cooper Koo Family Cherry St. YMCA, includes Toronto’s largest green roof!
- Our YMCA Camp Cedar Glen Outdoor Centre is home to a certified organic farm and a greenhouse and through its Harvest Share Program, offers pre-boxed harvest shares to local communities