Expanding our efforts across the GTA
We have a unique footprint in the GTA—with close to 450 YMCA locations, we’re here for people at all ages and stages of life, in all circumstances they find themselves in. By building new YMCA Centres of Community, our Strong Start, Great Future Campaign goal is to expand our efforts to ensure more people across more communities are able to achieve well-being for themselves. Because we know that well-being is at the heart of a happy, healthy life—one that ensures a better future for individuals and families. Discover how our new and in-development YMCA Centres of Community are poised to create a real impact in neighbourhoods across the city and region.
How do we determine where to build new locations?
When selecting any new location, the most important criteria is that the new YMCA Centre of Community must be financially viable and sustainable. Our location selection process considers the following:
- Access to emerging density or underserved density
- Must be on a major transit corridor
- Must be central to the population being served with a preferred radius of 3–5 kilometres
- Assessing if the facility will have synergies with surrounding users
- If the site is compatible with municipal recreation (and other) services
- If it has municipal support and if the municipal plan includes community centres within the catchment area
What programs and services will be offered at the new locations?
The program and service offerings at each new YMCA Centre of Community are customized based on research, community consultation, licensing requirements, zoning bylaws, and the designs and infrastructure of the buildings themselves. As part of our process, we work closely with the community to determine a program-delivery model that meets the needs of the individuals and families we serve—not just today but as those needs change in the future.